Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Art: Iconography Soterios Panailidis, a master maker of rivetting images - but is it art?

I got an email from a list to which I subscribe. It proclaimed a father's delite in his daughter's Christian intellectual development and gave us all the route to her quite beautiful and thawtful website. There I also found a URL that took me to the True Fresco site; and, of course, I surfed the waves of curiosities breaking in as fresh webpages, finally dropping me off at a title on Byzantine Iconography. I was not prepared for the stimulating text, but even more so suprpised with my own delite upon viewing what the artist had there for his visitors regarding his faith and his artworks, goregeously accessible to my beauty-starved eyes.

Soeterios Panailidis has a brief essay at True Fresco that is accompanied by digitalized images of a selectoin of his iconography. The text raises the question about the whole Byzantine tradition of iconography - is it art or not? - Owlb

Panailidis - English & Greek site

No comments: