Thursday, March 15, 2007

Politics: UK: Basic stats on Northern Ireland election results

The Mar7,2k7 election results for Stormont (the parliament of Northern Ireland), I found a bit difficult to track down. Also, some snaggle may be continuing, as I haven't heard in the press to which I had resort that Dr Ian Paisley has become chief minister, which would follow logically from the results. With the intent of checking out more particulars, nevertheless I hurry (a week later) to supply refWriters readers with the most important stats. Here they are:

Party.........Seats.......Vote share........Full name of the parties

DUP...........36.....30.1%......Democratic Unionist Party
UUP...........18.....14.9%......Ulster Unionist Party
Alliance.......7.......5.2%......Alliance Party
Others.........3.......8.0%
SDLP..........16.....15.2%......Social Democratic Labour Party
Sinn Fein.....28.....26.2%......Related to Irish Republican Army

Northern Ireland Mar7,2k7 election

Europe > UK > Northern Ireland

Regarding the vote, UK newspaper Guardian says in an article on Tony Blair's and Ian Paisley's Christian religious dialogue with one another,

The charm offensive appeared to be paying off yesterday. Mr Blair's new ally gave his most positive statement yet that a power-sharing deal might be achieved with Sinn Féin.

"I'm not confident until it's done," Mr Paisley said. "I think we have made a bit of progress. I think we are getting down to the real issues at last. The rest was shadow-boxing."

Mr Paisley added that his success in last week's assembly elections - the DUP won 36 of the 108 seats - had given him room to manoeuvre. "I can afford now to go a bit further because I am confident the people are with me.
NI election map Mar7,2k7

*The chart and map are from Elections: Northern Ireland Elections website.